First things first…regarding the breaking news reported earlier this morning: OT Trent Williams, fourth overall pick of the Washington Redskins, officially signed with the team. The contract is a six-year deal worth $60 million ($36.7 million is guaranteed).
For a team that desperately needs offensive line help, this was a strong way to start training camp for the Redskins.
Eric Berry of the Chiefs and Mike Iupati of the 49ers have signed their contracts as well. Terms of their contracts haven’t been made public as of this time.
On the Ravens front, the news isn’t nearly as positive. Cornerback Domonique Foxworth is out for the season, due to an ACL tear.The injury happened during Thursday’s non-contact orientation practice.
With Lardarius Webb, Fabian Washington and Ed Reed still injured, Foxworth was the only remaining starter who was healthy. The Ravens now look to cornerbacks K.J. Gerard, Travis Fisher, Cary Williams and former pro-bowler Walt Harris to fill the void in their defensive backfield.
Head Coach John Harbaugh also said Fred Smoot, Anthony Henry and ex-Raven Frank Walker were being looked at by the Ravens.
On the bright side, Joe Flacco and his receivers looked solid in full-team and 7-on-7 drills at camp this morning. Newly acquired Anquan Boldin got good separation from press coverage, and made some tough catches in some tight spaces. One of which was in the red zone, where Boldin caught a Flacco pass on a curl route for a touchdown.
Red zone efficiency is something the Ravens have needed for a long time. Fortunately for the Ravens, Boldin excels in the redzone.
Other notes from Raven’s camp:
- K Shayne Graham looked very good, making every field goal from distance
- Ed Reed was doing weighted hip exercises on his own, and looked to be in good spirits
- Michael Oher lined up at right tackle at times during the morning practice, with Jared Gaither at left tackle
- Todd Heap missed practice
- Willis McGahee lost a tooth, courtesy of a hit from Dawan Landry
- Attendance at the morning practice today set a record for Ravens training camp: 11, 506
Thanks for reading.